Saturday, February 7, 2009

Last week and the warm windy weekend...

Kansas weather is amazing. It was mid sixties last Thursday and another great night for a ride and last Friday turned out warm but very windy. Saturday was 70 and Sunday was nice but a little cooler.

The Thursday night group was a bit more spirited than normal. While, usually, this ride is casually natured with some brisk runs from time to time, this night was a much faster pace. Maybe it was the weather or the feel of the coming spring, but the pace was up and it was a great workout. felt good to sweat and feel the legs burn. It was a great night and I find myself really enjoying the night riding. I am looking forward to spring time an some of the area's full moon rides.

Friday was a great temp day and the commute to work was very nice. Temps were upper 30's and very low winds in the morning, but, on the way home it was a different story. The winds were 27 MPH out of the South - Southwest when I looked on Weather.com just before leaving the office. My coworkers thought I was nuts. Of course, my route was South-Southwest directly into the head wind. Really intense. Truly a slog.

I was again amazed at how mental wind is. If I had been trying for a fast ride or was trying to get somewhere fast, it would have been very disheartening. But I was looking for the challenge and bragging rights for braving the wind.

I did jump on the trails by Lake Lenexa to get out of the wind for a short stretch. Even had to dodge a tumbleweed along the trail... it was moving along pretty well when the gusts hit it right.

I did not get out over the weekend. I had kid activities, stuff around the house and a dozen excuses. The wind was blowing but it was a great temperature on Saturday. Sunday was nice as well... I like that cooler weather.


So far this has been a great year for cycling. I am off to my best start in years and have high hope for the coming season. The mild weather (at least not much snow or rain) has really helped, as have the Thursday night rides and the commuting to work, even if it is only one day a week. Maybe this will be the year that I finally feel ready for the MS150, with enough miles under my belt by the start. Every year for the past 6 years I have felt unprepared for the MS150 with not enough base miles. This year I hope to have 4-500 more miles than last year.... about 1300 last year. So if I can get 1700 or better this year by the MS150 in September, I should feel ready.

They just announced that the KS MS150 is moved back two weeks since it was going to conflict with the end of the Tour of Missouri. That helps a well.

See you on the road.

No comments: