Friday, September 19, 2008

Commuted today... great morning

Got to use the lights for my commute this morning. Really a very nice morning, cool, calm, nice sky. First time I have been able to commute with significant light use.
This is looking east... the lights are intergalactical cyclists.... or street lights from, yet another, half built, Shawnee subdivision slowly eating away all the farm fields and scenery.

I should point out that I am an occasional commuter. Due to work, travel and having 3 kids and a working wife, I am not able to commute very often. 1-2 times a week is all I can plan and usually it is once a week at best. While this is pitiful compared to those "real" commuters blogging out there, it is the best I can do. I intend to commute more by commuting when I can, year round. I am a year round cyclist now, and plan to work the commutes in also.

I really like the ride to work (about 7.5 miles). I am not as wild about the ride home (11 miles). I think it is due to being tired at the end of the day and the increased traffic. I just don't find myself as jazzed up for the ride home as I do for the ride to work. Maybe if I can get out and commute more regularly it would help.Ok, so how is it that the ride to and from work are different distances? Well, coming to work I have to navigate the very western end of Shawnee Mission Parkway heading east over K7. Not too bad in the morning at 6:30 or 7. However, heading West on Shawnee Mission Parkway at 5 pm over K7, while only a 1/2 mile or so, into the sun, doesn't thrill me. So rather than risk that stretch of hell, I go North about 2 miles and cross K7 at Johnson Drive (55th). This allows me a more sane stretch of road, less time in heavy traffic and 4-5 extra miles. This makes the total commute about 18.5. I can use the miles.

Here is the bike, loaded. Clothes in one rear bag. Laptop and stuff in the other. Front bag has a cable, battery for the lights, jacket, camera.

No comments: