Monday, September 1, 2008

Sept. 1st - Getting ready for the MS150

Busy weekend. Last opportunity to get some miles in prior to the MS150 on the 6th and 7th.

Saturday - Did a 50 mile loop from Shawnee to Bonner Springs to DeSoto down to Olathe. Stopped in DeSoto to watch the "DeSoto Days Parade". Small towns are a hoot. Lots of politicians running for various offices.

Sunday - Got 60 in with Gardner, Olathe, Overland park and Lenexa all seeing some miles. Rode with a couple of friends and let one of them pick the route in southern OP since that is not my area (I am a Western Joco, Gardner, Shawnee, Lenexa, DeSoto, Bonner, Tongie, Eudora guy). We had to do a mile on Black Bob North through the 143rd street intersection. I really don't like driving in that kind of traffic. It was a rush, hammering to keep up and dodging the cars making right turns, but really not how I like to ride. Scary, exhilerating all at the same time.

Monday - I decided to not ride Monday.... this is a "tapering" week for the MS150 on Sat/Sun. I have read that you should taper 5 days to a week before a big ride. The MS150 is my bike ride. I don't have the opportunity to get out and ride that many longer pay rides or centuries each year. My mileage goal is a modest 2000 a year adn i sometimes have trouble hitting that. So year to date I am about 1200 miles, and that makes the 160-180 miles of the MS150 my "bike ride". This year I am not feeling the strength I have in prior years.... likely the result of a low mile year last year, a slow start this spring and more 30-50 mile training rides than anything in the 70-90 range.

So, no riding this week. Got the bike all tuned and ready to go, figured out a way to carry the camera so I can easily get at it and will try my luck at adding pictures to my post ride post.

No comments: